NoMoreMrNiceGuy

MikeT wrote:
"NoMoreMrNiceGuy" wrote in message

The tilt-trim motor will not work after the boat sits up for several
months. I can hear the relay clicking but the motor does not run. I can
rap on the trim motor a few times with a hammer handle and then it works.
What I going on with the motor?

TIA

Norm

My Johnson 90 used to do that as well as my 140 Stringer, on the 90 with
hydraulic lift, the contactor would engage, but the brushes in the motor
would corrode just enough after sitting to not get juice to armature.
Tapping, then actually using it more often was the cure for me.

On my OMC Stringer, the 30W lube oil would actually leak by the seals into
the motor, and the motor being full of oil , well, did not work well. I
fixed that one by buying a different boat with a Merc outdrive, no more tilt
problems, just a whole new generation of other issues. After all, it is a
boat!

Thanks for the feedback Mike. Easy enough to just hit the switch every
couple of days and see if that solves the problem.

Norm