Wayne.B

Default offshore fishing

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:43:58 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:
If you are considering anything from 10-20 miles out, then I'd pick a
model that has a deep, self-draining cockpit and plenty of transom
even if the outboard has to go on a bracket. That is one of the
design "features" of my Ranger that bothers me a lot - they have a set
back for the engine, but right in the setback, is a hatch. In a
following sea, that set back is always wet and I have taken waves over
the stern into the cockpit. Something to consider.

That's an excellent point for any boat in open water, regardless of
how far off shore. Taking a wave over the transom seems to be one of
the primary ways that small to mid-size boats get in trouble.

The only other advice that I'd offer is to be aware of current and
wave conditions in your local inlet, and have an alternative in mind
if things look too dicey when you return. Getting rolled by a
breaking wave in the inlet is another big trouble spot for 20 footers
and even larger.