Rosalie B.

Pete Verdon d wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:
Pete Verdon d wrote:

Why *do* you have to check if it's raining?

So I can close the hatches and stuff inside the boat doesn't get wet.
We keep the hatches open when it is hot for ventilation. (Possibly
not a problem in the UK)

Ah, I see. No, I don't really find that a problem. We[1] generally pull
the main hatch across but leave the washboards out, and open the
forepeak hatch a couple of inches - enough for ventilation but not to
let rain in unless it's *really* chucking it down.

I've sailed in warmer places where you definitely want all hatches open
(and windscoops, and fans turned on if the boat has them) but there
wasn't any chance of rain.

Pete

[1] My friends/family, I'm not trying to speak for everyone in ukrs

Our boat was made for the Caribbean and we sail on the East coast of
the US, so it is frequently hot, humid and airless and there's almost
always a chance of rain under conditions like that. (Didn't D.C. used
to be hazardous duty for English ambassadors?)

We have a center cockpit so two companionways with hatchboards in
each, and 19 opening ports (if you count the one from the sink to the
cockpit, plus 6 (I think) deck hatches - 2 aft, 2 forward and 2 in the
main cabin. We do also have 12v fans in the Vberth and the aft cabin.
Don't have any wind scoops though.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156