Shortwave Sportfishing

Default offshore fishing

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:29:11 -0600, adectus
wrote:

Im thinking about buying a 22 foot proline sport. I will be using
the boat mostly for offshore fishing. Does anyone have experience
with these boats on the open water.

How far "off-shore" and where "off-shore"?

Around these parts, weather plays a big part in how far and where you
SHOULD go in a 22 footer. I've been on the SW ledge off Block Island
with my Contender CC (32 foot) and wished I wasn't. On the other
hand, I've been there in my Ranger CC (20 foot) and had a ball.

I've seen boats like you are contemplating out as far as 22/25 miles
on really good days and I've seen them around Stellwagon Bank, the
Vineyard and Nantucket on marginal days. It's not something that I
would do, but that's me.

If you keep an eye on the weather and stay ahead of it, then you
should be fine with that size boat. The key is to be conservative and
don't overstay your welcome. If you are getting uncomfortable with
the weather situation, then it's past time to leave.

The ride will be problematic. It will handle light chop and 1/2 foot
waves well enough at speed, but long duration swells and heavy waves
can cause problems. Slow it down and keep the ride reasonable.

(Funny story - I was running in Narragansett Bay south of Prudence
Island in my Contender. The weather was moderate, but the striper bite
was on big time, so I decided to head under the Newport Bridge and out
to Seal Ledge - the water inside the East Passage was 1 to 2, but
heavy and short duration - the boat was being bounced around a little
but not to bad. As I made the turn into the Passage, wham - 8 foot
waves - I buried the bow and decided that descretion was the better
part of valor and headed back inside - turning around was VERY
interesting.) :)

Open water fishing is dependant on how much freeboard the boat has,
how the transom is get up (if it's an outboard), things like that.
If you are considering anything from 10-20 miles out, then I'd pick a
model that has a deep, self-draining cockpit and plenty of transom
even if the outboard has to go on a bracket. That is one of the
design "features" of my Ranger that bothers me a lot - they have a set
back for the engine, but right in the setback, is a hatch. In a
following sea, that set back is always wet and I have taken waves over
the stern into the cockpit. Something to consider.

Anyway, if you are comfortable with the boat, then have fun - just be
carefull.

Oh, and Proline's are nice boats. :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"I object to fishing tournaments less for
what they do to fish than what they do to
fishermen." Ted Williams - 1964