Glenn Ashmore

Bert,

Looked at yours and the AutoAnchor and feature for feature you are pretty
close to the 550RCX but without the mixed rode feature. However, with most
windlasses the mixed rode is a non-issue and the price advantage definitely
goes to your product while the esthetic advantage goes to to the AutoAnchor.
But as a compulsive do-it-yourselfer with a well furnished "Renaissance junk
box" I will build my own now that I have found some code that seems to work
well and I can build on with the parts I have available.

If I may, a couple of items of critique that I hope will be helpful. First,
your on-line user manual is a recreation of the file used to produce a 4
fold booklet. That means that the pages don't follow sequencially. It is
almost impossible for someone viewing it on the web to make sense out of it.
I hate to see a good product that you have obviously put so much work in be
represented so poorly.

Second, I am a bit concerned about how you are implementing the soft stop
feature. I assume from the available liturature that you are using some
form of pulse width modulation to slow the windlass. This can be very hard
on the mechanical relays in a normal windlass solenoid. You might consider
an optional SSRor MOSFET based control box to get around this.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Bert van den Berg" wrote in message
First - we manufacture a chain counter (www.cruzpro.com.ch30.html) that
controls the windlass in an intelligent manner (slows anchor when nearing
bow roller, etc.) but it retails for US$400.

For those people really wanting to build their own you might look at
www.microtronz.com. 95% of the hard part is already done and the case is
waterproof from the front. The unit costs US$80 and comes with working
BASIC, C and ASSEMBLER programs. You would have to write the software

your
self and use the scratchpad area to interface to the reed relays, but most
of the hard bits to read keys and put information on the LCD, etc. are
already done for you.

Best Regards,

Bert

Bert van den Berg
CruzPro Ltd.
www.cruzpro.com
35 Keeling Road, #A4
Henderson 1008
New Zealand
Tel: 64-9-838-3331
Fax: 64-9-838-3332

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Anyone ever attempt to build one of these?
http://www.dv-fansler.com/Projects/9.../900gd-dro.htm

I downloaded and compiled the code but would like to know if it is

reliable
before I go to the trouble to design and make the boards. Considering

all
the parts can be had for under $50 and an AutoAnchor cost over $500 it

looks
pretty attractive.