Jack Painter

"Wayne.B" wrote

On 11 Mar 2005 05:35:59 -0800, wrote:

I would suggest stepping up enough to get DSC.

=============================

Is there a test process for VHF/DSC? My latest boat came with two DSC
capable ICOMs but I have no idea if the feature is even hooked up, let
alone working. Also, I have no idea what vessel ID is programmed, if
any.

There is no license or test required to be a voluntarily-equipped DSC-GMDSS
vessel, the category which most recreational boaters fall into. But you must
register an MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identifier) number to YOUR vessel.
The number (if any) that was in the used radio is not valid any longer.

Also, a U.S. vessel that plans to dock (or communicate) at a non-US port of
call, must have a restricted radiotelephone operators license. This good for
life (of the vessel you own and operate) and also does not involve any exam.
The license covers vhf, hf, gmdss and radars with no description of
equipments required. It will include applying for an MMSI to be used
internationally.

Changing the MMSI on a radio can be done by the owner, providing you have
the owner's operation manual which provides these instructions. Many radio
manufacturers provide manuals online. BOAT-US has an 800 # for you to call
where an experienced associate can walk you through the procedures involved.
That number is: 1-800-566-1536 (working hours). Or you can simply walk-in to
any BOAT-US store with your radio(s) and do the same.

Also be advised that BOAT-US provided registration of MMSI (free to all who
apply) does NOT register your MMSI for international voyages. Americans must
apply to the FCC for an MMSI to be used in conjunction with a restricted
operators license and international travel.

Best regards,

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia