Fiona Stirling

Darryl Johnson wrote:
BCITORGB wrote in news:1110337727.832888.70210
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Alex says:
==============
In warm climates Killer Cotton is the best thing in the world.

Here in
eastern Canada, in the Labrador current it is not something I would
wear on the ocean ( ever ) .
===================

Since thinking about going out on the water and having read about
cotton being bad, I've had to reevaluate my wardrobe: it seems that
cotton is just about all I own.

I suppose I'll have to look at poly or fleece type options. For the
summer months around here (Vancouver and the Gulf Islands) I'm

guessing
that all my cotton stuff will do, as the temperatures -- air and

water
-- seem to be relatively warm (from June to October, I think, but

I'll
ask around).

Thanks for the tip re cotton under the wet suit - it stands to

reason
that without the evaporation, the chilling factor doesn't occur.

Maybe
I won't have to go the Speedo route after all.

Cheers,
Wilf

MEC sells "quick-dry" boxer shorts and briefs, as well as other
clothing. I use the boxers under everything. They're sized to fit
snugly, like the tight shorts that bicyclers wear. They look so much
like those biker shorts that I can change in the middle of a crowded
parking lot and not get a second glance fomr anyone. Well, maybe a
few young kids saying: "Who's the fat old guiy over there, and what's

he doing?"

--
Darryl

i wear a lite swim suit under an fj. i wear quick dry material over the
fj and under a spray jacket as required. baby powder is something i
have not heard mentioned in this string. best two dollars you are
likely to spend... the swim suit is simply to allow me to slip into
something dry in a parking lot.
oh; be carefull. i thought i had a bomb proof roll untill i tried one
in very cold water. a friend, who i though less skilled than i, rescued
me and is still laughing at it.
it was a very hot day but the water was bitterly cold. the lads did
some rolls, a couple of practice rescues and we all did some rock
hopping. i am bcu trained ( well trained ) lots of certificates;
thought i could show them. when that cold water hit my head and neck i
panicked and did a fast wet exit. i had my paddle but my friend was
tasked with recovering my boat. i was gasping for air as water filled
my spray jacket and wet suit. both of them told me not to try a roll
without a dry suit.
i have never been so cought off before or since. i had no idea the
effect realy cold water has.
that was in newfoundland 3 years ago. i have never had that problem
again since in nova scotia and british columbia the water does not get
that cold.
just a note,,, dress for immersion.
that ended our paddling day as it drained all my energy ( instantly )
and scared me even though we were 100 m from a beach take out and the
same to our cars.
i borrowed my friends hh thick poly pro and curled up in my car to get
warm again , they put our boats on the car. people on the beach got a
wonderfull laugh.
Oh . I was wearing a very light fasionable dry suit, a neoptrene swim
suit realy a light spray top and light polly pro . the weather was 25
or 27 c the water was about 0 c.
We had lots of great paddling later that week but i was a little better
prepared.

fiona