Larry W4CSC

"Dr. Jonathan Smithers, MD Phd." wrote in
:

My marina neighbor had a Uniden (not sure of the model) and was never
pleased with the sound quality. He compared it to the my Standard
Eclipse and ended up replacing his.

I have always felt that Standard and Icon both made good products.

I had a Standard Eclipse Plus destroy my battery in my jetboat. Seawater
leaked in around the "sealed, waterproof" speaker...drizzle back along the
main circuit board into the pins of the RF power amp brick which is ALWAYS
powered up, even when the radio is off. The salt caused the brick to draw
about 3A of current and killed the boat's battery REALLY dead. The radio
was destroyed as the salt ate the components off the board.

In ANY of these little VHF radios, it's a good idea to disconnect the power
from them any time you are not using them....breaker or disconnect switch.
Their RF power amplifier ICs do NOT go through the "power switch", which
only switches off the main radio. These ICs draw no idle current....unless
what happened to me happens to you.

After losing two Standard Eclipse Plus radios to leakage, I got an Icom M59
for the boat and it worked fantastic for years. The guy who bought the
jetboat is still using it.