Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
I would suggest stepping up enough to get DSC.

I agree on the DSC capability. Some low to medium priced VHF units are
capable of being interfaced with your fixed mount GPS. That is how I have
mine set up. However, there are now VHF units that have their own GPS.

Even if you don't hook it up to your fixed mount GPS, you may want to in the
future.

In my recent VHF upgrade, I went for the DSC, Hailer/with listen-back and
programmable frog horn/siren.

A note of caution: when you program your vessel ID into the new VHF, read
and follow the instruction carefully. In my Standard Horizon, I get only 2
tries and then it has to go back to Standard to erase the incorrect ID. This
was a no cost service but require that I have West Marine return it and that
took about a week.

Regarding my experience with Standard Horizon VHF. I have had 3 different
models over the past 14 years. One had a bad mike cord which I paid for the
repairs since it was out of warrantee, 2nd worked fine for 3 years until I
upgraded to get the above mentioned features, while the 3rd (and present
unit) failed last summer due to a heat related problem at the chart table.
It was repaired under warrantee and would have been replaced by West Marine
if that model had been current and available. Took about a week for repairs
at no cost.

Also I recommend watching for mfg'ers rebates. I got a $30 rebate off the
heavily discounted/sale price and ended up only paying about $180 for a $350
unit.

Good shopping

Steve
s/v Good Intentions