I would suggest stepping up enough to get DSC. They may not even offer
VHF without digital select calling anymore, I haven't checked recently.
My VHF is 15-20 years old and still going strong, as are a probable
majority of units from the same era. My next VHF will have DSC, and
maybe one of the microphones that can change channels etc.

All of these VHF radios are relatively inexpensive, as boating gear
goes, as long as you stick to the basic functions.

It would be hard to wrong with ICOM, Uniden, Raymarine, or other major
brands. VHF (thankfully) is
usually trouble free.

If your boat is a single helm model, save enough money for a decent
hand held VHF to go into the spares locker.
The odds of both radios crapping out at the same time
are almost zero, but you will have more limited range on the hand held.