Meindert Sprang

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message

This is one of my pet peeves with most manufacturers. STupid Icom's

really
expensive M-802 uses a BNC RF connector that only has ONE WIRE and ground
to hook the NMEA data to the transceiver for DSC/GMDSS GPS input. They
should all be HUNG! If everything had a balanced line like NMEA was
designed for, I could probably transmit on HF without tearing up the whole
boat's NMEA network....(d^

I agree completely. NMEA should have simply revoked membership of anyone not
adhering to the standard. The NMEA-0183 spec is very clear on the naming of
the terminals, what signals they should carry and the required isolation on
every input. So if everyone adhered to the standard, connecting NMEA would
have been as easy as connecting a ligthbulb.....

Meindert