Lady Pilot

"Maxprop" wrote:

"Capt. NealŪ" wrote in message

No harm came to LP's children while she
was out sailing. One might wonder what the parents of your granddaughter
were doing when the unfortunate accident occurred. Was *their* daughter
being properly supervised? Just a thought.

Accidents happen. Only a card-carrying liberal would suspect culpability
of the parents in such events.

How can an 11 year old run out on a busy street be an accident, Max?
Seriously, I would like to know so that I can protect my sons. Was the
mother there with her? Was granny supposed to be watching over her grand
daughter? It appears to me in this article that there was no adult
supervision, the child was running with 11 other students without
supervision.

The article:

Two girls hit by dump truck while crossing the street in Lowell

(Update, Lowell, November 12, 2004, 5:30 p.m.) Two Lowell girls are
hospitalized in intensive care Friday morning after being hit by an asphalt
dump truck.

The accident happened around 4:20 p.m. Thursday in front of a McDonald's
restaurant in the 1300 block of West Main Street.

Police say a group of seven pre-teen girls was crossing the road on its way
to McDonald's from the YMCA Teen Center. Five of those girls made it across
the street, but two of them, 13-year-old name deleted and 11-year-old
katy's grand daughter, did not as they were hit by an asphalt dump truck.

"One of the girls was injured and flown out by AeroMed, and the second girl
was transported by Rockford-Lowell Ambulance," said Lowell Police Chief Jim
Valentine.

The girls are in serious condition at DeVos Children's Hospital in Grand
Rapids, and 24 Hour News 8 understands they are showing signs of progress.

Investigators say early indicators suggest the driver of the truck,
46-year-old Robert Tarte, was not speeding, and skid marks indicate he tried
to avoid hitting the girls.

"The preliminary skid accident speed estimates the vehicle at less than 40
miler per hour, so we don't feel speed was a contributing factor," said
Chief Valentine.

A much safer and less dangerous crosswalk is located about 250 feet from
where the accident happened. Police and YMCA officials are going to teach
teens about safety when it comes to crossing the street.

"Caution has got to be paramount," said Lowell Police Sergeant Stephen
Junewick.

He plans to visit schools with news footage of the accident illustrating how
crossing five lanes of traffic and darting in front of cars can lead to
disaster.

"When you walk across in an inappropriate manner, you're taking your life in
your own hands," he said.

"So, it's just been a real blessing that these two young girls were struck
by a 60,000 pound dump truck and survived that particular crash," said Chief
Valentine.

Lowell Police officials say they will turn over the results of their
investigation to the Kent County prosecutor's office. But at this point in
time, Chief Valentine says it doesn't appear the truck driver did anything
wrong. end quote

Are you going to call Child Protective Services and demand that Katy's
grandchild be made a ward of the court, put in foster care?

I doubt if Child Protective Services would care nowadays. I see children
running the streets all the time, while their parents are too absorbed with
making another buck so they can buy a bigger, nicer sailboat or some other
expensive hobby instead of being the parents that they are supposed to be.

LP