Dave

Default Chrysler engine cut-out

I've got a 1979 34' Silverton with Chrysler M360B engines (with electronic
ignition). This past season I've had the stbd engine suddenly die a few
times while at cruising speed. (Boy, is it unnerving when the boat suddenly
veers to stbd!) Oil pressure is always good; so is water temp. I thought it
might be some water in the gas - each engine has its own draw tube
(seperated widely) from the gas tank. I treated the tank with gas drier,
but still had a recurrence. The problem is very infrequent (makes it
difficult to diagnose). When it does happen, I can usually get the engine
re-started in 5 to 30 minutes - in fact sometimes it's so brief that the
engine sputters a little then comes back to normal speed. Somebody
suggested to me that Chrysler Marine electronic ignitions have a large
resistor on the primary side of the ignition coil, and sometimes this
component develops an intermittent open circuit at high temperatures.
Anyone had this experience? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

-- Dave F.