Thomas Veber

"Sal's Dad" skrev i meddelandet

"approval" from a testing lab. But it was a radical design, which may -
or may not - work, and it wasn't obvious (to me) that it would meet the
builder's needs.

I do not want a radical design, but a classic design. Probably cutter
rigged, and maybe with a gaff or gunther rigg. Furthermore I am willing to
sacrifice comfort for getting a more elegant boat - e.g. by not having a too
tall cabin. Most boats I have seen have a (very) tall cabin, which ofcourse
is needed on small boats to get the comfort. I would rather have a 5 inch
lower cabin but then get a more elegant boat. The "Weekender" is actually a
nice boat, but I am not very fond of the interior and the single-chine
("cigar-box") design. But ofcourse this eases the building.

That brought to mind another story I saw not long ago, a fellow who spent
20 years or so building his dream boat - but he had NEVER been sailing!
As I recall the outcome was not real positive.

I am very aware of this also. And that is why I want to limit the size to
15-16 feet. A smaller boat should be faster to build (or maybe I should put
my words like this: A smaller boat does not take as long time to build as a
larger boat :-).

Hope you have read all of Gerr's and Bolger's books - not for specific
designs, but to understand the thinking. Look at the Atkins catalog. And
'Messing About in Boats' has a lot of good info, especially if you, like
me, are one of the people who enjoys Robb White.

I will try to find these books. Thank you for the advice.

Best regards,
Thomas