Dave Manby

In message , riverman
writes

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message ...
Dave Manby wrote:

The companion piece "The Tahiti Room" is the answer and through
the introduction to the reader of the sport of underwater climbing in
rivers tells how enjoyment of a sport can become a pursuit of dreams and
then a dangerous single-minded fanaticism.

You mean they downclimb from the waterline using snorkeling equipment?

Hmm, that would be underwater rappelling. I bet they climb horizontally,
with technical climbing gear and scuba tanks, along the riverbed upstream
against the current. I want to know when they know they have summitted.

--riverman

That's it fighting against "river gravity" as they try to make it to the
bottom of a slot drop to see where the boat disappeared to though the
reason for trying to get to the falls is soon immaterial

--
Dave Manby
Details of the Coruh river and my book "Many Rivers To Run" at