Wayne.B

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:54:10 -0500, DSK wrote:

Cool pics. The one of dolphins in the wake is the best dolphin pic I've
seen in a long time... usually by the time I snap one, they're gone.

505 Midwinters? How'd your son do?

===============================

The dolphins are particularly hard to catch with a digital camera
because of that annoying little lag after you push the button. I just
got a new Olympus D-540 which seems a bit better in that respect. Our
GB49 is a virtual dolphin magnet at cruising speed for some reason.
We sometimes have as many as 7 or 8, surfing the wake for miles at a
time.

My son was 8th in a fifteen boat fleet, right squarely in the middle
of a very competetive pack. There were several olympians, sailmakers
and national class champions in the top 5, so being in the middle of a
fleet like that is a decent accomplishment. They are really exciting
boats to watch on a windy day. We were committee boat for the regatta
and had a ringside seat for the whole thing. First day the winds were
15 to 20 kts, gusting 25. There were lot's of capsizes and screaming
spinnaker reaches. The last day the winds went light and things got
very closely bunched and tactical.