otnmbrd

"Nikki Locke" wrote in message
Otnmbrd wrote:
G Commercial fishermen. I forget at times that we all may have
different views as to what constitutes "commercial".
A commercial fisherman is indeed "commercial", but I treat them with
"small boats" except that I have far fewer concerns when dealing with
them, as I am generally comfortable with meeting them, especially when
it's a group, that they will stay clear of me .... but YOU should not
feel the same..... and if it's a one on one open ocean condition I treat
them under the "rules".

Surely you should be keeping clear of them (assuming they are "engaged in
fishing")?

G Surely.....
The problem is that frequently, as mentioned above, you run into them
fishing as a fleet or group.
If possible, and you've seen them soon enough, have sea room, can figure the
general movement of the "group", etc., then you can alter course out around
the "group".
In reality, what frequently happens is that you find yourself moving through
the group and at any one time you may be on a collision course with multiple
targets.
At times like this, if the ship holds it's course and speed, then all the
fishing boats know exactly what to expect from the ship and they can
maneuver in a way that best suits their needs ...... not exactly legal, but
it works.
The same applies to a ship running across a group of recreational boaters.

otn