Nikki Locke

Rhys wrote:
Perhaps I should have said "running (hull) lights are always on at
dusk". I switch on the trilight when I see circumstances merit it
(i.e. away from the harbour and into the dark lake). Then I SWITCH OFF
the running lights, leaving the mast-top trilight alone if under sail,
and the steaming light plus trilight if motor-sailing.

Steaming light below tri light means...

From one direction you might be a trawler
From another direction you might be a fisherman
From another direction you might be a large ship
From any other direction you are a fool who is showing the wrong lights

--
Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd. PC & Unix consultancy & programming
http://www.trumphurst.com/