Calif Bill

Default Retirement

I am semi-retired. After the last layoff, tried to retire (I am 60) but got
bored. So not wanting to commute to the Silicon Valley anymore, I got my
contractors license and do small jobs that bring in some money, and keep me
alert. My mother just turned 89 and she still works 1 day a week as an RN
at a convalescent home. Does not need the money, but keeps her interested
in the world, and helping out. The fact I am self employed allows me to
take trips when I want to. You can only boat and fish so much locally. So
buying a new diesel pickumup and a camper so I can tow the boat to BC and
fish Lloyds region and other distant venues. Maybe you can do some fly
tying classes for the local adult school or a fly shop. Seminars, sort of
like Jay Fair. Also get involved in some charitable work. Have to keep
some outside interests oor you get old quick.
Bill

"John H" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 07:44:56 GMT, "Bill Kiene"
wrote:

Hi All,

I was wondering how many people here are retired?

Any words of wisdom about preparing for retirement from the older retired
crowd?

I want to retire so I can go boating more often.

Yes. Find something to do. I have picked substitute teaching as a
means of staying as busy as I want to be. During my first six months
of doing nothing, I almost went totally bananas.

You can only fish and mow the grass so often. Also, most of the people
in this group sleep at some time of day, so you can't depend on a
good argument carrying you through 48 hours at a time.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!