Jan

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:19:40 -0500, rhys wrote:

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:15:16 -0500, Jan
wrote:

Rhys,
Why on earth do you bother with all that?

It's good practice for me as I plan on sailing a lot more in the
future than I do now.

I can understand that. Fortunately, being retired, I can get out on the lake
most days during our too short summer, this may affect my thinking.G

I too, sail Lake Ontario, out of Port Credit. I merely follow two
basic rules of my own, one is, "Might is right" and the other is,
"Don't play with the big boys." This applies both by day and
night.

True, but I also race sailboats, and we are sticklers for rules G.

Ah, perhaps I should add rule number 3, "Rules are for the guidance of wise men
and the strict obedience of fools." VBG

Procedure is simple, identify lake freighter, not too difficult, determine
course of lake freighter, again, not too difficult, and, if necessary, adjust my
own course to take me astern of lake freighter. I don't really care whether or
not they see me, if I can see them, I'll stay out of their way.

They should stay used to looking for you. That's *their* job, as well.
What if you are becalmed, engine dead, and adrift? Maybe your
electrics are shorted out, maybe you've been hit by lightning or are
taking on water. If they aren't habitually keeping a watch for "small
stuff", you are in even greater danger. The responsibility cuts two
ways.

While I agree with you that it *should* be the duty of the large vessels to keep
an effective look-out, with the best will in the world, I can't imagine them
changing course every time they come across a sail-boat on Lake Ontario.
Especially if they are on course for one of their delivery points. Not only
that, I am all too well aware that merchant vessels of all shapes and sizes sail
with the minimum crew they can legally get away with on pure economic grounds.
Not that this excuses them for not keeping a good look out, but I really think
this is a case of where the pleasure sailor/boater should exercise some common
sense and just keep out of their way, not stick blindly to some rule that was
written years ago when real sailing ships were common. Just my opinion mind
you.
Regarding the second part of the paragraph. If any of those situations, or a
combination of same occurred, this presents a different ball-game and you would
see this ancient mariner making sure the dinghy was fully inflated, if the radio
was working, anyone in hearing would know there was trouble and flares would be
going off making the ex look like a side-show.BG There would be little doubt
that I would not only be seen, but heard very loudly also.

The crews of the lake freighters are, after all, making their living by sailing that ship, I
on the other hand, am merely playing around. Also, my vessel is far more
maneuverable than theirs, so it's easier for me to take avoiding action.

True also. Lake frieghter don't tend toward "sudden moves". 150-foot
"disco boats" can and do, and they are making a living, too, and are
obliged to observe the same rules as me.

R.

Agreed, the "party/disco boats" are a right royal PITA, but again, they usually
follow pretty well the same course over and over. I have spent many a night
alongside at Hanlan's Point and cursed them as they come by with the DJ blasting
away, however, they are usually all gone by 21:00 and, with a certain sadistic
pleasure I like to imagine the party-goers drooling with envy at us boaters tied
up and enjoying the peace and tranquility.G
My perception of all this may well be tinged by having spent 7 years in the
Royal Navy and being keenly aware of the fact that even destroyers and frigates
have a reaction time. Naval ships don't have a wheel-house as such in or on the
bridge, so the officer of the watch has to identify the object then pass
steering orders to the person at the helm who then has to react without being
able to see what's going on outside.

Jan
"If you can't take a joke,you shouldn't have joined"