Ottar

Wayne.B wrote:

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 17:57:50 +0100, Ottar
wrote:
Not at all,

Unless the US has secured world domination, the US governement has no
legal right to inspect any vessel other than their own outside US waters.
A boarding of say, a Danish sailing boat in the mid Atlantic is legaly an
occupation of foreign territory.

=================================

Not really. Senior coast guard officials have explained to me that
the US government has treaties with almost all countries that allow
international boarding and search of any vessel suspected of possible
criminal activity. Some of these treaties require explicit prior
approval but supposedly it is routinely granted. Vessels of unknown
flag are also boarded on the high seas if they are suspect.

Closer,

I'm sure the US has bilateral agreements with other nations facilitating
such boardings. If your coast guard or navy wish to board such a vessel,
they are probably checking the list if there are other requirements before
doing so.

Vessels of unknown flag, that is none recognized by UN or IMO are not
protected by any authorative governement. They are the underdogs of the
seas and treated at will by any navy in the area. Such ships could just as
well fly the jolly rogers.

ottar