Capt. Mooron

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

It could be the bottoms you're hanging on to.

No... I doubt that is the issue since the span of time includes 9 years in
a lake situation having everything fromm loon****, weed beds and round
cobble. The current 4 years in Nova Scotia has seen a wide variety of sea
floor types.... including sand, kelp beds and rock..

They bite instantly in sand, but they're even better in soft mud where
plow anchors often do the "slow drag." (I'm guessing you don't have much
soft mud where you are.) On other bottoms they can release and not
reset.

In sand and soft mud they work well... although I have found a tendency to
bury exceedingly deep in soft mud with the danforth I used.

Its a myth that chain gives shock absorbing in heavy whether. The
absorbing value starts at the maximum, and reduces to zero as the
condition worsens. If you use all chain or very heavy line, you need a
snubber.

How high a wave exposure do you anchor in that would require a storm set? I
found the chain seems to keep the anchor aligned and slows the binding on a
pivot. I have dove to inspect my anchor sets on many occasions to see for
myself what was happening on the set. I especially took time to dive if I
sufferred a drag.

On another note.... I found that in a blow while at anchor.... my storm set
consists of a very heavy 20 foot chain from the CQR to another 30 ft
lighter chain followed by a 100 ft of 3/4" rode which is fastened to my
100ft chain.... seems to plant the boat nicely with minimal stress to the
vessel. I do insist on a wide swing radius in foul weather.

Not a lot bigger, but somewhat bigger. And its a fin keel boat, not a
'crusher. In many ways, the Nonsuch is a 36 footer in drag.

LOA Nordica 30 29.49
Nonsuch 30 30.33
LWL Nordica 30 25
Nonsuch 30 28.75
Beam Nordica 30 9.77
Nonsuch 30 11.83
Displacement Nordica 30 10220
Nonsuch 30 11500
Sail Area Nordica 30 502
Nonsuch 30 540
Capsize Ratio Nordica 30 1.8
Nonsuch 30 2.1
Hull Speed Nordica 30 6.7
Nonsuch 30 7.18

Yes I can see it does seem a bit larger... but then again the Nordica
carrries her beam well aft and forward of amidships..... still the Nonsuch
is a thousand pounds heavier.

On that I would agree with you. There are two different approaches to
anchoring: the "weight is great" approach, and the "light weight hi-tech"
approach. Both are self consistent and the choice is a personal one. I
went with the light weight approach because it offered me the best chance
of ending up in a spot I was comfortable with. With the heavier gear I
was prone to saying "I don't like it here, but I'll be damned if I'm going
to haul that thing again!" And of course with the catamaran, I wanted to
keep weight down, especially at the bow.

I can agree with that... but since the method I use has proven effective for
me in a wide variety of conditions time over time... I'm loathe to alter the
set-up based on someone else's experience on a different vessel. I am open
to experimentation and will no doubt make use of any opportunity to try
alternate methods.

Ground tackle and the art of the proper set is not something that comes
natural... it requires practice and experience to consistently hook up
solid. I have my methods and gear.. it works in my situation.

CM