Capt. Mooron

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

Prompt setting is a problem with the CQR. I got rid of mine partly for
the reason. The balance on it is such that it can land upside and drag
for 100 feet or more before it flips over. One solution is to let is sit
for 10 minutes or so before backing down. With the Delta I wait for about
30 seconds to a minute so the point will start to dig in, but it always
lands point first because of the extra weight in the tip.

I've never experienced that with either of my CQR anchors. I found the set
was generally either a postive bite or a no-set.... and this is immediatly
noticable.
I do not like danforths unless I'm setting in sand.

That's a bit thin - I use 9/16 NE Rope 3-strand for all my rodes. The 3/4
inch, on the other hand, is overkill, since it won't stretch enough to
reduce shock loading. My previous boat (a Nonsuch 30 which is somewhat
bigger than the Nordica) came with 100' of chain and a thick rode - I was
much happier when I downsized everything and replaced the CQR with a
Delta.

My rational is that the 1/2" is for alternate use. I do not find the 3/4" a
hinderance at all... shock loading is handled by the chain and snubbers if
required. I don't believe the Nonsuch 30 is a bigger vessel than mine at
all. In actual use it pays to utilize what works... and the system I now use
works.

CM