DSK

"Jeff Morris" wrote
This is certainly contrary to the universal experience of cruisers. Of
course, pound for pound the CQR is particular inefficient, especially at
the smaller sizes. Perhaps you should get a modern version of the plow.

We're thinking about either a spade or a bruce.

Capt. Mooron wrote:
The CQR is my favourite anchor. If you set properly with correct chain and
rode... there is no reason to doubt the plow design as being effective.

OK, how do you set it properly? We've been using a CQR anchor for two
years with less than stellar results... it's never dragged but it is
often slow to set and appears to not like a wider range of bottoms than
I'd have thought. If I can find a good enough deal on a replacement,
we're taking it off.

We have a 35# Danforth also but it's stowed in the lazarette and is a
PITA to get out & deploy.

.... My
26lb stainless plow with 100 ft of chain is my main anchor. The chain is
fastened by swivel shackle to 300 ft of 3/4" rode.
My second anchor is also a plow, galvanized, with the same set up. I also
have a 50lb steel fluke and a 60lb fisherman's anchor with 30 ft lengths of
chain for each and a spool of 1/2" braid I can use as rode.

1/2" braid anchor rode for a 30-footer?!?! And you should get longer
chains for your backups. Take 25' off the chain on your CQR and put it
on the fluke & fisherman.

We have 40' of 3/8" HT chain on each anchor. I'd rather have more but we
often anchor in 5' and that puts the chain right at the sampson post.

I'd like to have a fisherman anchor, probably need one about 75#, as a
backup but they are horrible to stow.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King