Capt. NealŪ

Comments interspersed.

"otnmbrd" wrote in message k.net...
Overall, I'd say you're taking reasonably good care of your boat (I could nitpick, but that's what it would be).

Thanks for the good words . . .

However, some points which you and others may not agree upon, but for what they're worth......

1. You're either going to have to buy a bigger boat, or figure you've put about as much on it as you can.

No bigger boat for me. Studies have been done and a well-found sailing yacht
of 27 feet is perhaps the best all around compromise to be had for a single-hander.

2. Case in point, the bow. I'm hoping that all those anchors were up there, mainly for the pictures, and not normally stowed that
way, especially underway or at sea.. Way too much clutter and chance for fouling, etc.. I'd rather see one anchor on that size
boat that fit's most your needs, with the others stowed someplace else, for use when conditions warrant.

And you would be incorrect. Remember the lines rolled up in the middle are mooring
lines and will not be there when underway. They will be buoyed and in the water.
That leaves three anchors, a plow, a Danforth, and a yachtsman or Herreschoff
as it is sometimes called. These three different types of anchors are needed
depending upon the bottom type as shown on the carts. One can pick the one(s)
most likely to hold the best under the circumstances.

The plow is the only anchor to have the rode stowed on deck. It is also the
least used as it is the most likely to drag unexpectedly. The rodes for the
Herreschoff and Danforth are stowed in the chain locker. So, remove all the
lines you see in this pictu http://captneal.homestead.com/files/prtbw.jpg
except the one on the port side which is for the plow. and you will see how it
looks when underway. Not much clutter now, is there?

3.The new rollers seem to have too many sharp edges on the side plates which could (kinda tough to imagine all the possible angle
leads) cause potential chaffing problems when you least need or expect them.

If you could see the rollers and channel plate close up you would see all the
edges are nicely rounded off and smooth from the factory. This is stainless
steel and expensive. There has never been any chaffing of the rode to date.

4.Bow cleats. I see you've added a set (not sure what your thinking was, but not that bad an idea). Overall, I don't like the
fairlead possibilities, over the side, from either of these cleats, especially the main ones you are using for your mooring lines.
Again, too sharp an angle, even considering the half round.

The originals are where they are and there's not much I can do about it other
than using a bit of chaffing gear that can be seen in the picture for the mooring
lines. The extra cleats I added (the aft cleats) :
http://captneal.homestead.com/files/Yacht_010e.jpg
are positioned so the lead-in from the opposite side roller makes for a fair lead and
no chafing at all. Note that in the pic above I was anchored off the Danforth for a
short while just to take to take a pictures so the line is lead to the same side cleat
whereas for real anchoring it would lead to the opposite side cleat and the lead
would be fair. For two anchors deployed you would see crossed lines leading
to the cleats. Understand? In other words the cleats are placed so the port side
cleat services the starboard side anchor roller and vice versa. Pretty clever, huh?

Have you considered adding a chock (closed or open) closer to the edge, then leading to the cleat? Could be a single larger or
double larger cleat/ bollard, located closer to the centerline. (reason I say larger .... I see you are immediately figure 8'ing
your line [and with your cleat size, line size, I would too], but I'd rather see a full round turn before you figure 8.

There is no room for a chock. In actuality, the aft side of the original
cleats acts as a chock.If the line is lead from the aft end of the cleat there
is not as much bending as you a seem to be concerned with and by adding some
pvc tubing over the mooring line, it takes care of chafe. When anchoring, it
doesn't seem to be a problem because the lines don't go as straight down as
the mooring lines do. I did add the stainless steel rubbing strake to smooth
the sharp GRP edge near the cleat, however.

By looking at this set-up, you may be able to clean-up what is becoming an all too cluttered area.

Again, there is very little clutter if you look at the above pic as it shows things
as they are when underway except the Danforth would be on its bow roller
and it's rode would be stowed in the chain locker.

If you are referring to this pic http://captneal.homestead.com/files/anchor.jpg
then you are correct. They were Flemished for the pic only. I no longer use the
little anchor chocks for the Danforth but haven't removed them yet.
I plan to leave them in place but surround them with teak tapered so there is
no tripping or snagging hazard. They make a good place to
store an emergency anchor which I have stowed in the cockpit locker in case
of storm conditions where another ready anchor might be warranted.

BTW Flemished lines are for show, not go.... they only impress Admirals and politicians.

But they look so cool.

EG Kindly note, this post is not meant as my usual rampant criticism of your normal nonsense, but rather, constructive comment.

Thanks for you comments. You made some good points.

CN

"Capt. NealŪ" wrote in message ...
Have you seen the latest improvements I've made on my blue-water cruising yacht?

Click on this link and feast your eyes on perfection: http://captneal.homestead.com/Exterior.html
Lot's of links to great photos that will make your mouth water and your complexion green with envy.

Be careful, though, because after looking at my fine vessel, your mediocre vessels won't ever
satisfy you again. (A word to the wise is sufficient!)

CN