John Fereira

"riverman" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...

BCITORGB wrote:
Brian says:
=======
Paddling a tandem solo is generally a bad idea, as it can become
completely uncontrollable in any significant wind and waves, due to
poor weight distribution.
===============

Are there any recommendations then about adding weight, distributing
it appropriately, and ensuring that it doesn't shift?

Wilf

Simple enough. put your stuff in the front hatch or fill it with juggs
of water , put a spray cover or cockpit cover over the forward combing
and paddle away. The boat is heavy, long and kind of slow with one
paddler. Don't go out in 50 MPH winds and you should be fine.
Even if you put nothing up front you will be OK. I have paddled these
things a fair bit. ( I hate them , they are not my Capella or Explorer
). but it will work.
Anyone wanting to sell a single should get the posters address, he
will be after a single soon.
There are some great expeditions done with double kayaks paddled by a
lone paddler needing more carrying capacity.
You will want wheels for that monster. it is 100 lbs or close enough.
Good Luck
Alex

The only time I have seen someone paddle single in tandems, he sat in
the FRONT cockpit. He said that it was easier to 'drag' the rest of the
boat behind him and maneuver through rocks, currents, etc, than it was
to 'push' the front of the boat through turns.

Sounds like a lot of trouble to me. The obvious solution, of course, it to
buy a solo kayak. While the Necky Amaruk is fine affordable tandem, it's
just not intended for solo paddling.

YMMV, I'm an openboater. I sit in the middle.

For now...that is, if you can get your canoes to Hong Kong. Are you still
considering going over to the dark side and doing some kayak touring? As
much as I'm sure you'd hate to do it you may want to consider selling the
canoes and picking up a kayak in HK. Since someone else mentioned the
possibility of limited storage space, a folding kayak might be a good
option.