Richard Ferguson

I do it all the time. I don't usually add weight to my boat just to get
the trim right, but if I have camping gear, etc., then I will try to use
it to trim the boat level.

I paddle the boat backwards, sitting on the "front" seat. When the
situation merits, I kneel and move forward to the center thwart, which
gets me close to the center of the boat.

Be aware that when the wind is strong, trim is critical, and the high
end of the boat will tend to point downwind. You may need to change
position (trim) if you have high wind. The classic error is sitting in
the rear of the boat trying to go against a headwind. It can look
pretty comical, if you are on shore. Better to turn around and put the
high end of the boat downwind.

Richard

BCITORGB wrote:
After several years of renting, I purchased a tandem [Necky Amaruk] a
couple of weeks ago. I figure either my wife or my daughter will
accompany me most of the time. However, I anticipate that I'll be more
fanatical than they. So, on those days when I'm alone, are there
recommendations re weight distribution? Is it much of an issue? Should
I place dead weight on the forward cockpit? Should I place dead weight
near the bow? Any good ideas re dead weight; I'm thinking of bottled
water in a mesh bag.

Thanks in advance.

frtzw906