Evan Gatehouse

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
I believe I would find a different vacuum pump. HVAC pumps are designed to
run a long time with almost no flow. With the constant flow from even a
well sealed bag you run the risk of blowing all the oil out and burning up
the pump before the epoxy kicks. You also don't need that high a vacuum.
When you get much above about 15" Hg you run a risk of squeezing to much
resin out of the layup. A pump rated at 24" Hg will give you plenty of
headroom.

I know but this pump is quite quiet (quieter than a vacuum cleaner).

The first thing I did was check the oil level in the window on the
pump when I went it and it hadn't budged. I suspect that a little oil
goes a long way when it comes to making a mist.

I did keep the vacuum level at 10-15" during the time the pump was
running but thanks for the thought.

Evan Gatehouse