Wayne.B

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:31:14 -0500, DSK wrote:

I said it had mooring cleats, which are both the wrong type and in an
awkward place to secure something like a preventer. You want to be able
to cast it off quickly. I'd suggest setting up a big jam cleat, perhaps
leading it fair to a jib sheet cleat.

That is a common situation. You can secure a good sized snatch block
to the mooring cleat with a short piece of line, and then lead the
preventer line aft from the snatch block to a cockpit winch where it
can be released or adjusted. This is common practice in my
experience. The snatch block can also be fastened forward to the
toerail or a lifeline stanchion base on many boats.