DSK

Courtney Thomas wrote:
Doug,

Would the potential flooding knockdown be due to an inability to release
the preventer from the cockpit, or what ?

Yes. If the boat accidentally gybes, for whatever reason, in severe
conditions, there is a risk that the preventer will hold the sail aback
and knock the boat further over than it otherwise would go... and do to
the fact that the preventer is still holding it, keep the lee side
pressed down and possibly begin taking on water. Boats with large and/or
low companionways, and/or large cockpit lockers opening into the hull
are particularly at risk of flooding (in this or other scenarios).

Another risk with a preventer is that when the boat heels or rolls far
enough to dip the boom end, at good speed... or perhaps just into a wave
crest, that it will either spin the boat around or carry something away.

I have not liked preventers but up until very recently have never had a
problem with accidental gybes.

What would you recommend for properly securing such a preventer, on that
boat, since you say it had only cleats ?

I said it had mooring cleats, which are both the wrong type and in an
awkward place to secure something like a preventer. You want to be able
to cast it off quickly. I'd suggest setting up a big jam cleat, perhaps
leading it fair to a jib sheet cleat.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King