Default Paint Expert Needed

Hi everyone,

I've got my boat pulled for a bottom job, and am in the process of
repainting the boot stripe (which also goes up the side of the hull as
on the older Trojan's).......

Today I meticulously taped everything off, sanded the old boot stripe,
wiped it down with alcohol, and started brushing on the Interlux
Brightsides Enamel paint.....I hadn't moved but 6" down the stripe
when I noticed the paint was taking on a lumpy appearance....

I realized something was terribly wrong, so I removed the paint I had
applied with rags and Acetone.....

Any clue why the paint would start clumping up immediately after the
paint was applied? The surface is smooth and free of dirt and
contaminants!

Also, has anyone used (with success) the disposable paint sprayers you
can get at Home Depot and other stores? I think they run around $10,
and are simply a container with a pressure can attachment.....I'm
thinking this may provide a more even/glossy finish than
brushing/tipping....

Any thoughts/advice would be most appreciated....I've got to have the
boat in the water by Wednesday, and with today being a bust, I'm
running out of time!!!!

Thanks!