rhys

On 27 Feb 2005 01:46:22 -0800, "mlw" wrote:

Can someone tell me weather it is possible to feed one-self during a
high sea cruising trip on a 36' sailing boat just by fishing? I just
dream to buy a boat and cruise around the world, but have zero
experience so far.

You have to invest in gear, you have to have some experience at
handling fish, and you have to not be squeamish and realize that some
of what you catch will a) resent it a great deal, b) be stronger than
they appear, and c) might have teeth, poison barbs or just a really
strong ability to smack you. So a gaff and strong net is essential.
More essential is a sense of when to cut the damn line and let
something 500% bigger than your practical needs live on with a sore
lip G.

There are many ways to fish: spear, handline, rod and reef, troll and
the ever popular "a fish ate my towed generator".

Trading fishing gear (lines, hooks, etc.) in parts of the Third World
where fish is a sustainence food is a great way to make friends and
get local produce or products. Asking the locals to fish for you is
frequently more efficient, too.

Lastly, you need to test in many places for ciguatera and other
diseases to which certain types of fish are prone.

Like everything else, it's no free lunch, this fishing for food.

On the other hand, it's a great supplement, it's fresh and there are
hundreds of ways to prepare and preserve fish. I do recall from
reading dozens of cruising tales from the '50s to the present (the
tales, not me) that snatching flying fish from the deck and the
scuppers, gutting them, cleaning them and frying them in butter seems
to comprise a hell of a lot of passagemaking breakfasts.