Tinkerntom

riverman wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Riverman -

The Year(s) of Living Dangerously are coming to a close. For all

the
good that your works accomplish, it does create a fair amount of
anxiety for those of us in the concerned observer camp. Soon we

will
be able to breathe a collective sigh of relief.

RailTramp

Thanks, rt. In reality, its been like a Canyon trip: there were only

a few
moments of actual danger, lots of hours of percieved danger, and a

whole lot
of hype. One real dangerous time was when we were being held up at

gunpoint
by the army, the other was during the coup attempt (the first, real

one)
when there was open warfare about 50 meters away at 2AM. All the rest

of the
time has been a mixture of seeing life 'over the edge', a slow

building of
personal walls combined with a growing dissatisfaction with the

direction
the country has chosen to go, and a serious avoidance of anybody with

guns
and a grudge.

I'm ready to go, mostly because I can. I know a lot of people who

would
never leave here, either by lack of choice, or by cutthroat

entrepreneurial
motivation. With the UN and the NGOs in town, this place is a rocking

wild
west town right about now, and a lot of fortunes are being made.

I worry that I won't have so much to say about Hong Kong that will

interest
anyone! :-)

--riverman

I'm glad to hear that you were not caught in the cross fire, and though
not as exciting, I am sure you will keep us regaled. Just don't drink
the water! TnT