riverman

"Gary S." Idontwantspam@net wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:55:31 GMT, Kieran wrote:

Hey there, sorry for the cross-post!

I might be taking on a project where we try to determine the power
(force and velocity) developed by a kayaker while paddling. I'm
wondering if anyone out there knows of any research that's been done
like this. I know that it is a fairly common thing for rowing crews to
be "instrumented" with strain guages on the oars, and potentiometers on
the oarlocks, to get force/time curves for on-water rowing. So, I'm
wondering if anyone is aware of this sort of study having been done on
kayaking or canoeing.

Kayaking is an Olympic sport, and every such sport has a wide range of
technical work done. You might get in touch with a college with a
kayaking program, or the US Olympic or Junior Olympic teams.

Seems like an opportunity for some synergy.

Wasn't there an extensive conversation here a few years back (maybe 3 or 4)
from someone who was doing his PhD thesis on this? IIRC, he had lots of data
and graphs showing where in the stroke the power was applied, and was
looking at bentshaft vs straight shaft paddles, depth of the blade, angle of
the shaft, etc. He was doing work in a pool, with sensors, flow meters, and
the like. The conversation might have branched out into different hull
materials, different types of boats, etc.

--riverman