Doug Dotson

wrote in message

Is it worth having equip that uses Pactor 2 and 3?

Absolutely! PACTOR III can go much higher and is adaptive. I

Well then this begs the question should I go straight
for Pactor 3 and forget abt Pactor 2 even?

I would. You can't actually forget about PACTOR II. All connections
to Winlink (and I believe Sailmail now) are made using PACTOR II. Once
established, it switches to PACTOR III assuming it has determined that the
other end is PACTOR III capable.

If you want to be able to dowload weatherfax product and such you really
want
PACTOR III. Other users appreciate it as well since you will spend alot less
time on the air.

Doug