John Proctor

On 2005-02-25 07:34:07 +1100, said:

I went with both. An ICOM-M710 enabled for the ham bands. And I had
both Winlink (ham email) and Sailmail. The M710 is one of the few rigs
that can do the digital modes, such as PACTOR, at full power.

OK Doug thanks

When I asked the question "what direction would you go"
.... I meant which rig would you go for.... i.e. a
ham rig that can do marine bands.... or a marine rig
that can do ham bands

I already have my general class ham license..... juts
not active for years

So.... Im trying to decide what equip to go hence the
question abt a ham rig w/marine bands vs the other

Depends where you are sailing. In Australia the Government has gone
with two marine HF receiving stations. One in Queensland and the other
in WA. They maintain a DSC watch (no operator with cans on his/her
head). There are a number of additional HF stations around the coast
but monitoring is not always guaranteed. Hence if I were making the
decision for my boat here in Australia it would be a marine GMDSS
equipped HF box that could also work on amateur frequencies. I suspect
the situation is pretty much the same in Europe from what I have read.
It seems NA is the odd man out at the moment as far as GMDSS is
concerned.

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789