Doug Dotson

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

Scoots me along at just under hullspeed. Last surveyor said it was
propped just fine.

What RPM are you turning on that Perkins, Doug. Lionheart has a 4-108 I
got from a guy on this newsgroup in NC for $1200. In spite of the
boatyard's screwup flooding her exhaust and crankcase with seawater with a
dripless packing water injection line, she's a great engine. Our
econocruise is also very easy to get near hull speed on the Amel Sharki 41
ketch at around 2200 RPM, but she's nearly as fast at 1800. There's a
120A
house alternator mounted to port and the engine has a 90A alternator on
its
bracket for the starting battery for some silly reason I have yet to
figure
out. The new fridge is 12/120V so we took away all the car air
conditioner
parts of the old French fridge/freezer combo.

The original Perkins that came with the boat ran just fine, even though
the
hourmeter read over 7000 hours! Engine shop said it was still usable so
it's in the captain's garage in Atlanta, our spares repository of used
parts. Simply an amazing engine.....by anyone's standards.

I don;t actually know. The calibration of the tach is off because the
alternator is
not stock. When we first bought the boat I measured the actual RPM and made
a graph to convert from indicated to actual. Converting the proper cruising
RPM
to the indicated gives 2500 so that is where we run unless we need some
extra. I've forgotten what the actuals are. 1800 sems to stick in my mind
but
I'd have to go look it up.

Doug