Rick & Linda Bernard

Default Continuing Saga of Far Cove's Engine

I have often thought about a DC drive for a boat. I believe you can buy a
48V motor, a bunch of 8D's, controller, and a charging system. Should be
able to get out of the slip and back without to much fuss. Don't forget a
genset to charge the batteries while out. Net cost probably about 2-3K for
the electric drive and 5+K for the genset (assuming you do all the work
yourself). Gee, why not buy a diesel inboard or at least a long shaft
outboard.

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 21:07:10 +0000, noah wrote:

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 08:22:10 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"

wrote:

So, I'll visit the bank as soon as it's open and see if they like me

enough
to lend me more money, then get the new one ordered and pull the old

one. I'm
thinking of various ways to power Far Cove "between engines". I thought

of
mounting Near Cove's electric on the stern ladder, but I think it's too

far to
the water. Or bolt some temporary engine (electric?) to the propshaft

plate...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

A good electric would certainly get you out "into the wind", if you have

the
battery capacity. Another thought would be a transom adapter for a

"used"
kicker. Either way, it'll cost a few bucks, but will get you back on

the water.
I prefer the idea of the transom adapter and kicker. It's more

versatile, and
upgrade-able, and the "lift" types pull clear of the water.

I do have a "9.9" (some say it's a 15, but if it was 15, I'd have to

license
it!) Johnson on the Tin Boat, but it's a short-shaft. Far Cove's transom

is a
foot or so out of the water, so the engine would have to mount right at

the
bottom of the transom, out of reach from the cockpit. Also, at 36 ft, ANY

wave
action and any outboard would be alternately out of the water and

submerged.

I was just thinking of the electric to get me around the marina, to the

lift,
etc. But...if it is a while before I get the new engine...Hmmm...I still

like
the inboard idea, but donno where to get an electric for that (don't want

gas -
not set up for safety!)

"Far Cove" Catalina 36