Evan Gatehouse

Peter W. Meek wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:24:51 GMT, junktin wrote:

Does anyone have practical experience using a consumer grade digital
camera with high zoom and Image Stabilization on a sailboat (taking
shots of distant scenery or other boats)?

I routinely use a Canon SLR (several film
and digital models) with their IS lenses.
I have used the Canon 100-400 IS as well as
their 300 IS lens with both the 1.4x and 2.0x
extenders. I also have some shorter Canon IS
lenses for these cameras (D30, D60, 10D and 20D).
(Anyone want to buy one of the older ones?)

I've used a Canon SLR (film) with a 300 F4 IS with 1.4x extender too.
It allowed me to get shots that I couldn't get in rough water with
my 70-200 F4 non stabilized lens.

Sorry I can't add more about the inexpensive IS digitals but I suspect
they will help _some_ with hand motions and small boat motions.

Evan Gatehouse