Neon John

It sounds like the microwave is tripping off on undervoltage. I'd be
looking at my 12 volt connections, as that is the usual source of the
problem. Depending on the length of the run, that #2 wire may be a
bit small.

An easy test is to plug in a low wattage bulb to the inverter and
watch how much it dims as the magnetron comes up to speed. You might
also try running the system with the engine running (assuming a MH) or
a high power charger in place to see if the added voltage will help.

FWIW, I run a 600 watt microwave from a 1000 watt Vector inverter with
no problems at all. I chose a microwave with a mechanical timer so as
to avoid all those glitch problems.

John

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 01:54:01 -0800, "Comcast"
wrote:

I just purchased a Tappan 550W microwave that consumes 850W. I
also purchased a Xantrex Xpower 1000W inverter (modified sine wave).
About 20% of the time, when I start the microwave, the light turns on,
the turn table starts to rotate, and just as the magnetron starts up,
the microwave shuts off. The microwave seems to have lost power since
the clock resets. The other 80% of the time, the microwave works fine.
Once it successfully starts up, it will run continuously without a
problem.

The inverter has a continuous rating of 1000W with a peek output of 2000W.
I can't imagine that the microwave ever uses this much power to start.
The fault light on the inverter does NOT come on.

I have 2 large deep cycle batteries connected in parallel. They are
in excellent condition and provide over 260AH. I have connected the
inverter directly to the batteries with 2 AWG battery wire that I
purchased at the auto store. Is there a problem with the microwave
or inverter? Should I buy a more powerful inverter?

Thanks
Brent

---
John De Armond