Meindert Sprang

"Comcast" wrote in message
I just purchased a Tappan 550W microwave that consumes 850W. I
also purchased a Xantrex Xpower 1000W inverter (modified sine wave).
About 20% of the time, when I start the microwave, the light turns on,
the turn table starts to rotate, and just as the magnetron starts up,
the microwave shuts off. The microwave seems to have lost power since
the clock resets. The other 80% of the time, the microwave works fine.
Once it successfully starts up, it will run continuously without a
problem.

The inverter has a continuous rating of 1000W with a peek output of 2000W.
I can't imagine that the microwave ever uses this much power to start.

The inrush current of a large transformer can be 5 to 25 times the nominal
current. And that is when fed with a sinewave current. With a modified
sineware (which is just a square wave which stays on 0-V for some time,
every cycle), the inrush current can be much higher.

Meindert