Don White

"Jim," wrote in message

Flush tax: In 2004, Maryland began charging homeowners and businesses
for producing wastewater. The funds will be used to help protect
Chesapeake Bay waters.

Maryland will add $2.50 a month to the sewer bills of residents hooked
up to treatment systems. It will also assess an annual charge of $30 to
homeowners with their own septic systems, even though many believe these
residents add little to the stream of pollutants that have damaged the
Chesapeake.

That's chump change compared to here.
On an average quarterly water bill of $ 127.00 I pay $ 45.00 for
'environmental protection and $ 25.00 for waste water management with
another increase due as we talk. The joke is, Halifax hasn't treated it's
water in it's 256 year history.
That will finally come to an end soon as construction is in progress now for
'stage one' treatment plants and collecter systems.