Doug Dotson

"halibutslayer" wrote in message

halibutslayer wrote:

wrote:

I would start out
by getting a rig setup that's capable of doing packet and then
adding a
pactor or similar into the mix later.

Packet is 2M only, correct? If yes that's very line
of sight on a boat. Yes?

Would pactor be a better choice for sail boat in middle
of sea?

If you are going to be sailing offshore, go take the easy 24 question
test
to get your Marine Radiotelephone Operators License. Then get a SSB
that has
the ham bands on it also. This way you can call the Coast Guard if you
need
to.

Come to think of it I'm not sure if you even need a MROL if your vessel
is
volunteerly equipped (not carrying more than 6 passengers, under 300
tons, not a
tug over 26ft. etc.) Your boat still has to have proper station license.

That's correct.

ICOM advertises some of theirs as "ham band and e-mail capable"

ICOM IC-M710

It will do the ham bands, but email ready is really AD-hype. It means you
can press a single button to get to your favorite email frequency. HF email
doesn't generally work that way. The computer tunes the radio to the
frequency you choose based upon propogation.

I'm not a ham but some people that post here are they might have some
suggestions. I
ve spent quite a bit of time at sea on tugs and wouldn,t want to be out
there with
out communication to the coast guard etc.