junktin

Thanks Peter,

I enjoyed those web sites just for the content alone, without even
thinking about the I. S. issue but it did provide valuable insite to
that issue as well.

Gee, it is hard not to like tugs!

Peter W. Meek wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:24:51 GMT, junktin wrote:

Does anyone have practical experience using a consumer grade digital
camera with high zoom and Image Stabilization on a sailboat (taking
shots of distant scenery or other boats)?

I routinely use a Canon SLR (several film
and digital models) with their IS lenses.
I have used the Canon 100-400 IS as well as
their 300 IS lens with both the 1.4x and 2.0x
extenders. I also have some shorter Canon IS
lenses for these cameras (D30, D60, 10D and 20D).
(Anyone want to buy one of the older ones?)

My experience is on a power boat rather than
a sailboat, but in VERY choppy water. I was
covering a tugboat race in the Detroit River
from a 45' express cruiser. As you can see from
the pictures, there were 6-10' pyramidal waves
generated by the crossing wakes of these
racing tugs (34' to 120' and 155 to 3400 HP).
If the Canon IS lenses can prevent camera
shake under these conditions, they are
likely to help in almost any circumstances.
Nothing can help if you get thrown to the deck,
but if you can keep your target nearly centered
in the frame, you will likely get a decent exposure.

Here are a few of the shots (much reduced in
size for web use):
http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek/boat/tugs98.html
http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek/boat/tugs99.html

As you can see, they are grainy from reduction
for the web page, but not much camera shake
is in evidence.