junktin

Thanks Glenn,

The glidecam product is too pricey for my needs and the horizontrue
product seems really only suitable for video cameras (I am considering a
still camera).

Interesting to read about the products out there, but my needs are as a
simple (and poor) amateur.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
I have a Sony with digital stabalization. Anything over about 5X zoom
really needs a tripod or gimbled/counterbalanced mount. Digital
stabalization is not like the mechanical stabalization in some binocs. It
helps with hand vibration but does little for major movement.

I have a Glidecam 2000 Pro mount (cheap Steadycam) http://www.glidecam.com/
that works well but it takes up a lot of space when working in the cockpit.
For a fixed rail mount http://www.horizontrue.com/ works pretty well for
keeping a reasonable horizon shooting underway but not very good for scenery
shots.

Niether will handle a camera over about 6 pounds so a waterproof case is
out.