Lloyd Sumpter

Default Continuing Saga of Far Cove's Engine

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 21:07:10 +0000, noah wrote:

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 08:22:10 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter" wrote:

So, I'll visit the bank as soon as it's open and see if they like me enough
to lend me more money, then get the new one ordered and pull the old one. I'm
thinking of various ways to power Far Cove "between engines". I thought of
mounting Near Cove's electric on the stern ladder, but I think it's too far to
the water. Or bolt some temporary engine (electric?) to the propshaft plate...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

A good electric would certainly get you out "into the wind", if you have the
battery capacity. Another thought would be a transom adapter for a "used"
kicker. Either way, it'll cost a few bucks, but will get you back on the water.
I prefer the idea of the transom adapter and kicker. It's more versatile, and
upgrade-able, and the "lift" types pull clear of the water.

I do have a "9.9" (some say it's a 15, but if it was 15, I'd have to license
it!) Johnson on the Tin Boat, but it's a short-shaft. Far Cove's transom is a
foot or so out of the water, so the engine would have to mount right at the
bottom of the transom, out of reach from the cockpit. Also, at 36 ft, ANY wave
action and any outboard would be alternately out of the water and submerged.

I was just thinking of the electric to get me around the marina, to the lift,
etc. But...if it is a while before I get the new engine...Hmmm...I still like
the inboard idea, but donno where to get an electric for that (don't want gas -
not set up for safety!)

"Far Cove" Catalina 36