Charles T. Low

Default Continuing Saga of Far Cove's Engine

Lloyd,

Joshua Slocum used _oars_ on his 36-footer, Spray, according to a drawing in
the book Sailing Alone Around the World - when there was no wind to dock
under sail!

We have a rule at byc (www.boatdocking.com/BYC) that there is no sailing in
the harbour. It's often flouted by the few keel boats that decline to carry
an engine (fanatical racers who occasionally need to be towed in!), and of
course by the dinghy sailors.

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
Actually, it's not really bad news (not like yours - I'll guess you

weren't
thinking of replacing the outdrive before it lunched). I was flipping back

and
forth between replacing the engine or fixing up the existing one and

making do
for a few more years. As I said, the boat made the decision for me.

But you're right: as I was trying to dock the boat using only reverse,

then
Once Again pulling the panels off, getting out the tools, adjusting a

trouble-
light, peering into the little access holes, I was thinking "I'm tired of

this!"

So, I'll visit the bank as soon as it's open and see if they like me

enough
to lend me more money, then get the new one ordered and pull the old one.

I'm
thinking of various ways to power Far Cove "between engines". I thought of
mounting Near Cove's electric on the stern ladder, but I think it's too

far to
the water. Or bolt some temporary engine (electric?) to the propshaft

plate...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36