JimH

As long as you are happy with them they sound fine for a marine
environerment.

Just mount them per the manufacturers instructions. No backing plate should
be needed. If you want additional insurance use extra large washers.

"Jay" wrote in message
Sorry, that was a bit uninformative..
They weigh about 2 or 3 pounds/piece. They didn't come with back braces,
and they would probably mount ok... my concern is the shock of slamming
over wakes over time, cracking the perimeter...

"Features: * Rubber surround * Magnetically Shielded * Weather-resistant
woofer * UV impregnated ABS heat-resistant weatherproof grilles *
One-piece formed ABS basket* Recommended amplifier power 10-60 watts RMS,
150 watts Peak * Requires 3.45" of mounting depth and 5.63" cutout
diameter * * Dual Cone: Mylar * Cone: Polypropylene * Basket: Durable and
light weight ABS plastic"

"JimH" wrote in message

"Jay" wrote in message
Well, these ( http://tinyurl.com/692pp ) are the ones I got.

They'll be going on either side of the walkway to the open bow (at
cruise the two rears can't be heard at all, really.) I can climb under
the dash on either side with enough room to work, and water (though
moisture might) doesn't usually find it's way into that area..

-j

wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:03:14 -0500, "Jay" wrote:

So I finally found a set of speakers that seemed like a good enough
deal and
they came in last week. I'm wondering if anyone has any
input/experience
installing speakers. They aren't flush mount which needs I'll need to
be
cutting a few holes... some of my curiosity lies in wondering if
there's any
certain saw blades one should use for cutting fiberglass.... I was
going to
just drill a few holes to start a hand jig saw... maybe tape up the
area
with duck tape to avoid scratching.. other than that I didn't really
know if
there was anything one should take precaution with.

Also, though they weigh a couple pounds each, should I worry much about
providing some of support to the backing... like a brace to dissipate
weight
on the fiberglass walls?

TIA

-j

Where on the boat are you installing them? Most speakers I've seen are
inappropriate for use in the cockpit, if that is what you are planning.
Unless
they have a sturdy and solid enclosure, they are strictly for inside
the cabin,
or maybe up high in a flying bridge. Speakers without enclosures in the
cockpit,
instantly become large holes for water to enter if the boat gets
pooped.

BB

The link tells us nothing about the speakers other than that they *are*
flush mount.

No backing plate needed.

If they are exposed to the sun and sea spray I hope they are capable of
withstanding the long term effects...rubber surrounds and neoprene cones.

If not be prepared to be replacing them every year or two.

Sometimes cheap is not always the best deal.