Simon Brooke

in message , Nigel
') wrote:

I have a Silva S15 radio and a Garmin 152 GPS. I don't seem to be able
to connect the two. The Silva manual shows that I need to connect Red
(GPS+) and Green (GPS ground) to the Garmin.

The Garmin has the following
Red (10-40vdc)
Black (ground, power and data)
Blue (NMEA out , COM 1 TX)
Brown (NMEA in, COM 1 RX)
White (NMEA in, COM 2 RX)
Green ( no connection) ????? what's does this do then
Yellow (Alarm Low)

I guess I need to connect the green Silva wire to the Black Garmin,
but what about the red Silva wire, should that go to the Garmin red
(10-40vdc) or the blue NMEA out?.

I have a Silva S15 and an MLR SP24XC GPS. What I did was to wire a D9
female socket onto the GPS, and then literally stuck bits of paperclip
with the wires from the radio twisted onto them into the holes I
thought were correct until I had established communication, then wired
a D9 male onto the radio's data cables using the pinout I had
experimentally established. This has worked fine for eighteen months.
I'm not saying I'd exactly recommend this procedure...

I could send you my wiring diagram if it would help.

Any tips on physically connecting these tiny little wires ?

Soledring iron, D9 plugs. I find D9 is about as small as I can
comfortably hand solder. Yes, I know you don't need all those pins, but
I don't know of a standard plug with fewer pins that's as easy to work
with.

Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
;; the Worlock