Jack Erbes

Meindert Sprang wrote:

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message

In my general inexperience with things Garmin, I may have some mistaken
impressions about the effect of the Garmin protocol. I thought data in
the Garmin proprietary format would not be read or used by an
application not specifically written to use it. In other words, if an
application was looking for NMEA data strings, it would not read any of
the Garmin proprietary data strings would it?

You are mixing up two things here. Firstly, there is the Garmin protocol.
This is a proprietary *protocol* consisting of binary (non human-readable)
data at 9600 baud.

Secondly, there are proprietary *sentences* or data strings snip

Okay, thanks to Peter Bennet's posts and yours I'm smarter about both
NMEA and the Garmin protocol and sentences.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)